Monday, April 18, 2011

Fading Away

 "No system is perfect, but at some point society must focus healthcare costs toward the 97% of those that can be cured."

This was a response to my last blog post. Yes I know I am the exception, but it is important to share my story so people can understand what does happen to some - and the misconceptions about universal health care. 
I have had nightmare doctors, the quality ones are very hard to find. The ER doctors are meant to save lives, and despite what I do and need, I do not take advantage of this - as other people do going to the ER for a flu. I have only gone in dire emergencies. 

Some facts about my disability application so far: 
*To apply for provincial disability it is a first a phone assessment, financial only. Gross, not net, and not taking any deductions into account.
*You can try to appeal this, but it is very difficult to even talk to a human.
*Canada Pension is part of what is taken off on every standard paycheck - (along with taxes and employment insurance)
*In order to apply for that, you need to apply within two years of your last work day.
*Despite this is your own money - not a social drain on the 'system'.
*The application booklet is thick, and requires alot of doctors to write - which can cost upwards of $100 per doctor. (see the cycle starting)
*Corruption example - There was a cop (working in the same union branch as me) and he was stealing drug evidence. Got hooked on meth and heroin. He is on full disability and cop pension, no questions asked.
*Canada universal health care is not free. (see my previous blog entries)
*I have had nightmare doctors (2009) that made me slip through the cracks
*At what point does the medical system give up on me? I am not depleting any social financial systems. Everything I do is paid out of pocket. Hard on zero income.

So if it is common consensus that I am of the 3% that has no hope, then I am just waiting to leave this earth? I am not giving up. The system is set up to give up on those of us that are deemed hopeless.

Thank you society. Very much. I hope it's not much longer I have to deal with you then so you can carry on. Awesome.  
 

3 comments:

  1. NO its is NOT common consensus, and honestly, I find that comment rather horrendous. Regardless of the level of terminality or 'curability' EVERY human being deserves absolutely the same level of care and effort. I find it inhuman to say that since you can not be completely cured, we shall transfer our efforts to someone who can. Where's the humanity in that?!? No, do not give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To address the quote, no we do not and even if we did, we're not there yet and I don't think we ever will be.

    I have been with you for four years, watching in horror, unable to do anything while doctors who are supposed to know what they're doing ask you "So what do you want me to do about it?" Verbatim. Not exaggerated. THIS is what "the 97% of those that can be cured" have to look forward to when it comes to health care?

    To echo Cinquefoil, EVERY human being deserves absolutely the same level of care and effort. It should NOT be so difficult to get aid in the form of money which YOU put into a fund. You. No one else paid into YOUR fund but YOU. Yet the gov't holds it ransom and makes it nearly impossible to get.

    You have more strength, fight and drive than anyone I've ever met. I've watched you put in the care and effort. I've watched as you played their game and did exactly as you were told. I have watched as you then took matters into your own hands and began making the calls, writing the letters and doing all you could to fight, claw and scratch for something, ANYTHING from a "1st World" Health Care System.

    Love you sweetheart. Keep fighting. Don't lose who you are and what makes you the wonderful woman you are. I am with you. I will care for you. I will fight with you. I am not alone. There are many of us. Rhimission is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep fighting. And keep fighting to change the system - it's broken, and we owe it to ourselves and those coming along behind us to fix it. I'm uninsured right now, and uninsurable apparently. I'm happy to pay for insurance but now one will give me insurance. There is something wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete